Visual Studio 2012 Support

Sep 2, 2012 at 8:54 PM

Dear VSColorOutput developers,

Is there any plan to support Visual Studio 2012?

Regards,

E. Vakili

Coordinator
Sep 3, 2012 at 1:48 PM
Edited Sep 3, 2012 at 2:17 PM

The version in the Visual Studio Gallery should work. Changing colors will require exiting and restarting. This was due to a bug in VS that I'm told is fixed in the final release. When the production version of the Visual Studio SDK is released I'll update this plugin. Supporting the beta Visual Studio releases turned out to be a huge waste of my time. Lesson learned. Only support released versions.

Oct 6, 2012 at 1:14 AM

I use VSColorOutput with VS 2012 RTM and would like to note a few things here:

1. Changing colors still require VS restart, even for RTM version of VS 2012. Indeed seems to be a bug in VS. Oh well… At least it is not necessary to do it too often.

2. RTM version of VS SDK is definitely available since August: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=30668 It would be great to have VSColorOutput officially updated for 2012.

3. I don’t understand why VSColorOutput colors are listed in Text Editor category. Would not it be logical to place them in the Output Window category?

4. Default settings for VSColorOutput colors look weird on default VS Output window. VS sets Output window background to light gray color and VSColorOutput uses white background by default. Could you please make them match?

Thank you for the great Add-in!

Konstantin

Coordinator
Oct 9, 2012 at 2:38 AM

1. If the problem I reported has been fixed I should be able to resolve the issue with the restart.

2. Migrating VSColorOutput to use the 2012 SDK has been quite frustrating. I've only recently got it to migrate.

3. Yes it is more logical to put the colors in the Output Window category. Visual Studio does not support adding colors to this category. I've complained to Microsoft bitterly about this.

4. Some systems just behavior "weird" with regard to background colors. You'll have to set the background colors manually. 

Oct 9, 2012 at 2:52 AM

Are you planning to release an update for 2012 any soon?

And dear Onion, please, take it easy! No need to feel bad (or blue) only because Microsoft screwed here and there. It is not your fault and even not your problem. We do what we can to make it better and if something is broken beyond repair... oh well, we'll leave with it (or without it).

Konstantin

Dec 14, 2012 at 4:02 PM
Edited Dec 14, 2012 at 4:07 PM

Hi,

Any ETA for the support of VS2012 ? specially for the dark theme