Error while opening VScolorOutput's settings in VS

Dec 27, 2011 at 11:55 AM

Hello!

I have got an error while loading settings page for this extension. VS's log said that VS was unable to load VSColorOutput's assembly, and Fusion log said that VS was trying to open this dll from Program Files/Visual Studio 2010/Common7/IDE.

So the solution to fix this error is to copy extension's dll to VS's directory.

Coordinator
Dec 27, 2011 at 1:21 PM

The other solution is to just to do a build before accessing the settings. Then the DLL is loaded in memory. The .visx installation doesn't give me the opportunity to copy files else where.

VSColorOutput utilizes the newer MEF extension mechanism for output coloring. Unfortunately, I never found a way to use MEF to extend the settings UI and had to fallback to the older style VSPackage way of doing things. Maybe there's another way to solve this issue? 

Coordinator
Jan 3, 2012 at 2:03 PM

OK, I've seen this error for a second time on one of my systems at work. This time I could only resolve it by copying the dll into Program Files (x86)/Visual Studio 2010/Common7/IDE. Anyone know a way to tell VS to look in the extension folder where the extension is installed? Is this just a bug in Visual Studio?

Jan 10, 2012 at 8:10 AM

To fix VScolorOutput's settings before a build you can add

<PropertyGroup>

<RegisterWithCodebase>true</RegisterWithCodebase>

</PropertyGroup>

before

<Import Project="$(MSBuildToolsPath)\Microsoft.CSharp.targets" />

in VSColorOutput.csproj.

It will change extension registration from Assembly to CodeBase in VSColorOutput.pkgdef containing the full path to installed VSColorOutput.dll.

Coordinator
Jan 10, 2012 at 12:27 PM

Awesome!